SHEA - Managing Editor, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
Organizational Overview - The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
SHEA's mission is to promote the prevention of healthcare-associated infections and antibiotic resistance and to advance the fields of healthcare epidemiology and antibiotic stewardship.
Seeking a talented and dynamic Managing Editor, for Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology (ICHE) with SHEA - to be located at the SHEA Office in Arlington, VA. The candidate will hold primary responsibility for a high-quality, society-sponsored peer-review journal, and offer comprehensive operational support to the external Editorial Office including the Editor-in-Chief, Deputy Editor, Associate Editors, and Editorial Board, plus liaise with the publisher’s production team (Cambridge University Press).
The ideal candidate should not only have the top-notch editorial skills required to produce a high-quality journal, but should also be able to work as part of an international team and be capable of managing their own workload.
The managing editor reports to the Editor-in-Chief in order to produce ICHE with strong relationships with the publishing team at Cambridge and operationally reports to the Director, Membership, Communications & Operations at the SHEA office.
Teleworking options are available for this position.
Maintaining the Journal Office (ICHE) – Reporting to Editor-in-Chief
- Adheres to project timelines and workflow processes, and ensures that all deadlines are met
- Liaises with the Editorial and Production teams to assure smoothly running Journal operations while ensuring accuracy and quality in the publishing process
- Hosts regular calls with the Editorial Team and meets with key editorial staff in person at least twice a year
- Prepares operational reports, and liaises with Production, Marketing, Sales, Digital (CJO) Development, and Customer Service, as needed.
- Updates and/or refines manuscript author guidelines, as located on Journal (ICHE) websites
- Maintains and updates relevant Journal databases, including those relating to editorial positions, pricing of the Journal, frequency, page budgets and other related information
- Maintains Journal and Society brand style guides, including review of marketing materials for Journal and Society branding (promotional materials, website copy, press releases, eTOC, etc.)
Journal Content Analysis - Reporting to Editor-in-Chief
- Analyzes citation reports to provide strategic input on attracting articles that would benefit the Impact Factor
- Works with the Editorial Team to implement a social media strategy to promote key articles and authors
- Develops and maintains knowledge of relevant medical journal topics including understanding important clinical issues
Pre-production – Working with Cambridge Staff in Production - Reporting to Editor-in-Chief
- Works with the Editorial Team to manage and collate manuscripts submissions, solicit potential contributors, and oversee peer-review submissions requiring a quick turnaround time
- Utilizes an article submission & review system to process initial submissions, peer reviews, revised manuscripts and other relevant documents; discusses and drafts notifications and feedback in regard to initial drafts, peer reviewers’ comments, and authors’ revised articles, including final decisions
- Checks submissions to ensure that they are properly formatted and includes all needed materials
- Corresponds with authors, reviewers, and editors to clarify the overall submission, peer-review and revision process
- Liaises with publisher technical support staff to update and tailor the Journal article submission & review system to ICHE needs
Production - Working with Cambridge Staff in Production
- Works with authors and internal publisher departments to secure necessary permissions and copyright
- Offers copy suggestions to Copy Editors for approval as needed
- Works with Production Editor to create appropriate production schedule for agreed frequency and page extent
- Offers instructional guidance in accordance with Journal and society standards to the Production Editor as needed
ICHE-SHEA Interactions – Reporting to SHEA Staff, with strategic guidance from Editor-in-Chief
- Serves as a liaison between the Journal, the Society and the Publisher to develop reports for the SHEA Publications Committee and Board of Directors
- Oversees and manages the publication process for SHEA work products (guidance documents, white papers, etc.) to be published in ICHE
- Represents the Journal in bi-monthly Publications Committee calls to discuss its status and strategic initiatives
- Understands the linkages between ICHE content and SHEA strategy and projects; suggests promotional efforts that would benefit both groups
- Works with other partners, e.g., other society-sponsored journals, on issues that are of mutual interest to both ICHE and SHEA
- Some periodic travel relevant to Journal management including attendance of scientific conferences
- Other related duties in support of the Journal
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Excellent attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy editing
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, openly, honestly and with integrity
- Excellent team and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively
- Superior organizational, time management, and multitasking skills
- Demonstrable copyediting, proofreading and project management skills, ideally gained in an STM medical environment
- Experience in proofreading and copyediting digital and print pieces
- Well-versed in established professional medical editorial processes and regulatory submission process
- Ability to work independently
- Must be well versed in AMA style
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or education in relevant field desired
- At least 5 years of relevant experience working as an Editor, mostly within the medical journals field
- Editorial management experience preferred
- Must have proven editorial skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Efficient online capabilities for medical data/reference searching (e.g., PubMed, Google Scholar, ClinicalTrials.gov, etc.) required
- Required Software Skills Include:
- High level of facility with Microsoft Office
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.