Associate Director, Journals Digital Strategy and Promotion
The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) is a community of over 12,000 physicians, scientists and public health experts who specialize in infectious diseases. Our mission is to improve the health of individuals, communities, and society by promoting excellence in patient care, education, research, public health, and prevention relating to infectious diseases
The Society is a great place to work! IDSA has a highly competitive total compensation package, offers flexible work and telework arrangements and our organizational culture is highly rated by staff. Our new office is located two blocks from the metro and has a free gym onsite.
We are an innovative and dynamic professional association committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity, access, and equity. We’ve experienced tremendous growth over the past several years and are excited to post this newly-created position.
Plan, direct and execute overall digital strategy and social media strategy for IDSA journals, including development of digital content, promotion of journal content and establishment of social media channels and engagement strategy.
Plan, direct and execute overall digital strategy for three journals, working with three related editorial boards, a volunteer advisory board, publisher and staff
- Write engaging content for social media and other promotional efforts on behalf of the journals that accurately conveys the meaning and importance of the science
- Work closely with the publisher’s digital team to ensure that they meet IDSA’s digital needs and priorities; and with the publisher’s marketing team to oversee development of journal marketing plans and initiatives, to evaluate success, and to incorporate evaluation results into future marketing planning
- Oversee production and delivery of journal podcasts and seek opportunities for expansion of journal podcast efforts
- Develop and oversee execution of plans to promote digital journal content, individual papers, supplements and special collections
- Collaborate with IDSA’s Digital and Technology Strategies team to ensure continuity with IDSA Society digital strategy efforts
- Develop and oversee execution of plans to encourage adoption by authors of new digital formats for journal content, including graphical abstracts, infographics, and video abstracts
- Serve as liaison to IDSA Journal Club and journal digital strategy advisory group; recruit group members according to IDSA’s principles of inclusion, diversity, access, and equity; organize periodic group meetings; oversee their work to deliver on the goals of the journals
- Develop annual plans; deliver information and reports to meet budget requirements
- Some travel required, including travel to the annual IDWeek conference and to other in-person meetings as needed (less than 5% of time)
Supervise, coach and mentor editorial coordinator
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or the liberal arts
- Minimum of five years’ journal digital strategy experience and journal marketing experience with increasing responsibilities
- Past experience with podcast development a plus
- Sound knowledge of scholarly publishing processes
- Experience with development of digital content for scholarly journals, such as graphical abstracts, video abstracts, and related mediums
- Experience with managing volunteer groups; ability to support and guide the work of volunteer groups to encourage productive group communication patterns and delivery of quality results
- Staff management experience, including the ability to motivate, lead, set objectives and manage performance
- Extensive knowledge of digital strategy, content strategy and trends for scholarly publications
- Ability to identify, read, understand and translate scientific literature for communication to a diverse audience
- Commitment to the journals’ role to support IDSA’s mission, strategic priorities and long-term goals to advance IDSA’s role as a preeminent source of information and knowledge and to expand IDSA’s impact in advancing quality patient care, driving research and promoting public health
- Proven ability to anticipate future trends, think across systems, coordinate other promotions and communications priorities, respond to current news
- Knowledge of software used to post to social media, assemble metrics and evaluate results
- Ability to evaluate results of social media and digital marketing efforts and report required metrics to guide future plans
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, reliable and flexible; thrives in a fast-paced environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity, finds solutions and is able to think strategically about the mission of the journals
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills; ability to write and edit promotional text and materials for journal content
- Ability to listen to and balance, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Innovative mindset and ability to stay abreast of new digital and social trends and technologies
The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status. We also welcome those of all abilities and make reasonable accommodations to support successful outcomes for our team members.
All offers of employment with IDSA are contingent upon a successful background check.