SHEA Master of Public Health Internship - Summer 2021
SHEA Master of Public Health Internship – Summer 2021
The (SHEA) is a professional society representing more than 2,000 physicians and other healthcare professionals around the world who possess expertise and passion for healthcare epidemiology, infection prevention, and antimicrobial stewardship. The society’s work improves public health by establishing infection prevention measures and supporting antibiotic stewardship among healthcare providers, hospitals, and health systems. This is accomplished by leading research studies, translating research into clinical practice, developing evidence-based policies, optimizing antibiotic stewardship, and advancing the field of healthcare epidemiology. SHEA and its members strive to improve patient outcomes and create a safer, healthier future for all.
The SHEA Research Network (SRN) is a consortium of healthcare facilities voluntarily collaborating on multicenter research projects and practice surveys worldwide. The SRN helps to identify gaps in knowledge and resources, and to address them by contributing data and expertise. Each SRN member has a principal investigator who oversees the facility’s response to research projects issued by the SRN.
SHEA will provide an internship opportunity for a current Master of Public Health Student to gain experience in public health and advance the knowledge base of healthcare epidemiology through work in a non-profit professional society. The intern will gain broad exposure to SHEA’s research program which covers an array of public health-related themes including infection prevention in healthcare settings, antimicrobial resistance, and infectious disease outbreak preparedness and response in healthcare settings. The intern will support SHEA staff with organizing and implementing research- related projects for the SHEA Research Network and SHEA’s Research Committee. This role will report to the Executive Director of SHEA.
Through active participation in SHEA meetings and activities, the intern will gain knowledge of public health-related research initiatives in healthcare epidemiology and antibiotic stewardship, exposure to leading professionals in the field, and will have the opportunity to experience working for a nonprofit professional society. Specifically, the intern will:
- Contribute to the overall improvement of public health through the dissemination of SHEA Research Network studies.
- Understand the ways in which SHEA supports the advancement of public health through the work of infection prevention and antibiotic stewardship programs to provide safe healthcare for all.
- Learn how SHEA connects, engages, and supports its members and the public health community.
Items listed below are general; more specific projects will be developed based on SHEA’s needs at the time and the intern’s specific skills and areas of interest.
- Serve in the role of gatekeeper for new research proposals for the SHEA Research Network (SRN). Prepare submitted studies for review, including key points (topic, funding, survey) and required materials.
- Work with the SHEA Research Committee to support the development and drafting of a SHEA Research Agenda manuscript which will be published in 2021.
- Work with the SRN Review Committee and SRN Leadership Team to review and respond to the principal investigator for next steps.
- Work with the SHEA Research Committee and Research Agenda authors to review and respond to the lead manuscript author for next steps.
- Maintain/update the SRN database of facilities.
- Meet monthly with the SRN Leadership Team to review activities and plan. Build out surveys, if needed. Prepare and launch projects, track responses, and issue reminders. Export data and prepare it for investigator.
- Help with visibility and promotion of projects and resulting publications. Work to advance the visibility of the SRN via communications vehicles including website, newsletter, and social media.
- Assist with organizing and scheduling virtual meetings; assist with tracking and managing related email correspondence.
- Research other opportunities for SHEA to leverage its research expertise, programming, and products and, if pursued, help execute them.
Perks of Internship
- Receive one-year complimentary SHEA Membership.
- Gain valuable work experience and build relationships with healthcare professionals who can potentially serve as references and provide letters of recommendations for future endeavors.
Education and Experience
- Applicant must currently be enrolled in a Master of Public Health Program
- Interest in research and efforts to improve healthcare
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce high-quality, detail-oriented work, follow-through on assignments, and execute projects
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
Duration: Eight weeks during Summer 2021. Start and end dates can be customized based on candidate’s class schedule. This is a full time 37.5 hour per week internship.
Work Location: Remote
Compensation: This summer internship will pay $15 per hour.
To apply for this internship, please submit your resume and cover letter.