The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) is a great place to work! IDSA has a highly competitive benefits package, generous paid vacation and sick leave, flexible scheduling and telecommuting program, is located two blocks from the metro, and has a free gym onsite for all employees.
We are an innovative and dynamic professional association committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity, access and equity. We’ve experienced tremendous growth over the past several years and are excited to post this newly created position to support our practice guidelines function. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage professionals of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Our team embodies the following core values:
Member-Centric, Excellence, Respect, Innovation, Teamwork and Trust.
The Guideline Specialist is responsible for designing and conducting systematic reviews of the literature, developing summaries of evidence, and producing clinical practice guidelines, endorsements and other guidance products in infectious diseases. Operating in close collaboration with colleagues in a team-based environment, the Guideline Specialist will work with multi-disciplinary teams of content experts, participate in the development of guideline-related clinical tools and resources, algorithms, and other content to support the Clinical Affairs & Guidelines Department. This position reports to a Senior Director, Clinical Policy.
- Manage and guide panel members throughout guideline development process
- Ensure guideline development is consistent with the IDSA Methodology Handbook
- Help define the scope of the guideline and frame the clinical question into the PICO format
- Design and conduct systematic literature reviews—including conducting literature searches, managing reference libraries, acquiring full text articles, and developing PRISMA flow diagrams
- Organize and manage data extraction, quality appraisal and analyses such as meta analyses
- Develop evidence profiles, summarize data in a quantitative and narrative forms, and assess the certainty of the evidence (GRADE approach)
- Help develop the final direction and strength of the recommendations based on the available best evidence in collaboration with the panel members (GRADE approach)
- Contribute to the writing and editing of practice guideline or guidance-related documents
- Participate in dissemination, implementation and evaluation initiatives as needed, including the development of guideline-related clinical tools and resources
- Monitor published literature for new research and other evidence relevant to IDSA guideline topics and develop reports that can be used to evaluate a need for an update
- Respond to inquiries about guideline development, dissemination, implementation and/or evaluation, or other related special projects as needed.
- Attend guideline-related conference calls and meetings, as appropriate
- Work independently in performance of job-specific responsibilities
- Build strong working relationships with the IDSA team as well as members
- Other duties as assigned
- Travel to guideline panel meetings and the IDWeek Annual Meeting, as needed (typically 3-5 trips per year for 2-3 days each)
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in library science (medical or health science), epidemiology, or other health sciences
- 3-5 years of professional experience with systematic literature reviews, data analysis, and clinical recommendation and other report writing; prior experience in a medical specialty society is preferred, AHRQ, Cochrane, or similar
- Experience managing committees or work groups
- Proficiency in the use of online (e.g., search engines such as MEDLINE/PubMed, Embase, and Cochrane Library; software for guideline development such as GRADE pro for summary of evidence and from evidence to decision) and desktop (EndNote, Reference Manager) programs, Windows environment, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to remain highly organized, confident, and composed amidst shifting priorities and timelines
- Ability to anticipate and be responsive to the needs of our very busy experts, and to be proactive in initiating and carrying out your work
All offers of employment are contingent upon a successful background check.